SeaChange have identified the 10 safety behaviours we can all do to Starve the COVID-19 Beast! We explain why they are important, what to do, and how make each safety behaviour a long-lasting habit. See below for key information on Regular Hand Washing:
Why is Regular Hand Washing Important?
Regular and through hand washing greatly reduces the spread of COVID-19
When should you Wash Your Hands:
- After coughing or sneezing
- Before and after eating
- Before and after preparing food
- If you were in contact with someone who has a fever or respiratory symptoms (cough, shortness of breath, difficulty breathing)
- Before and after being on public transport if you must use it
- Before and after being in a crowd (especially an indoor crowd)
- When you arrive and leave buildings including your home or anyone else’s home
- If you have handled animals or animal waste
- Before having a cigarette or vaping
- If your hands are dirty
- After toilet use
Triggers to Form the Habit(s):
- Set Reminders:
- Visual cues such as sticky notes or an object out of place on your desk, something odd that will make you think of it.
- Evidence-based posters e.g. displaying the technique for correct hand washing and detailing the effectiveness of such a practice is very effective too.
- Using the “Cooties” effect with bugs-like stickers on surfaces that can become highly contaminated like door handles can work too.
- Displaying messages such as “wash it now or eat it later” works as well.
- Make the act of handwashing fun and pleasurable: reward with a nice soap, use www.washyourlyrics.com to create your own poster with any song’s lyrics paired to the handwashing steps – to change up from the “happy birthday” song.
- Make it public/ pledge to stand against the virus. The act of committing can increase behaviour change.
- Pair handwashing with another important activity like taking a break away from your computer
- Position washing stations and hand sanitiser in strategic places that people will pass by very often – if you have to climb the stairs and walk down a long corridor every time, it’s not going to happen!
- Make it personal – think of the people you are protecting by not transmitting the virus to them.
For more detailed information and consultancy support on how to prepare and plan for COVID-19 onsite, contact SeaChange about our excellent and comprehensive ‘Ready Steady Go Programme’. Call us now on +353 45 856 028, or email us on email@example.com. (SeaChange home page here)
Keep informed via our COVID-19 Support Page here